Friday, December 13, 2013

My Rant About Books you Should Read

Warning: this isn't actually so as much about the books you should read as my opinions of modern day society and what they do to books.

I am very versatile in what I read. When I was a bit younger, I tended to be more inclined toward mystery, and I don't mean like Nancy Drew, (I actually for some reason always hated Nancy Drew, although I did like Encyclopedia Brown. ) I mean James Patterson. Actually, I believe he was my childhood. (Scary, huh?) That is kind of what drove me to get involved in writing darker stories, and I love it. (Side note: I've actually never read his Maximum Ride series, but I've read most of James Patterson's adult books. Fun fact: my favorite book of his is entitled: Now you see her, Now you don't.) Anyhow, as I have gone through my reading career, I've found many interesting books in various genres, so I thought I'd share some of those with you, and perhaps offer my reviews to them.

1. Divergent by Veronica Roth. You've probably already heard plenty about this book if you haven't read it, and if you haven't read it, you've also probably head that it's very similar to the hunger games. Let me clarify something, just because it is in the YA Dystopian Genre does not mean that it's like the hunger games, seriously people? Every single time I look at a somewhat recently published YA novel that happens to be Dystopian it says, and I quote, "on par with Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games" and "A natural for Hunger Games fans." Ahem, critic. Yea, excuse me, does this book have anything to do with The Hunger Games? No? Why is Hunger Games written on the back of it? Oh, because it's the Dystopian book. One more question, did Suzanne Collins invent the genre of Dystopian novels? No? It was around before Suzanne Collins? NO! It can't be! Are you saying she's just the most recognized author for that Genre so you slap her name on the back of every single Dystopian novel? You are! Well, my faith in society just went through the earth.

Ok, getting back on topic... Divergent is not like The Hunger Games other than it shares the same Genre, like many other books. It revolves around Beatrice Prior who is one of 4 factions of society, Abnegation as she discovers that she is something called Divergent, and the book basically goes from there. (I stopped there in an attempt to not spoil too much for you.) Anyways, it is a great book that you should go and read right now!

2. Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. Now, I know what you all are thinking (other than you Phans) wasn't that a play written by Andrew Llyod Webber? No. Yes. I mean, technically by what he did to the book it was a play written by him. (I actually love the musical, and yes I know I sound like I'm hating on him, but it's basically like that movie that takes out the characters from the book, adds a new plot, slaps the book's title on it and says it's the same. It's not regardless of whether or not they touch on some of the book's points.) Anyways, (I seem to go off track a lot, this is really more of a rant than a recommended book list.) the story revolves around Eric (The phantom), Christine, The Persian (Eric's friend) and other characters including Raoul de Changy (who is actually incredibly more wimpy than the play/movie makes him out to be.) So, check those out!

No comments:

Post a Comment