Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Storytime #2

A knock came on my door. The red and blue lights flashed outside my curtained windows. As soon as I heard them coming down the street, I knew their wail was for me.

I had been pacing the floor all night. Back and forth. Back and forth.

He had told me not to worry. She would be home soon. I knew it was a lie. I knew my baby girl was never coming home. At least, not on her own two feet.

The salty water was already running over my lips. Had been for hours. The stars were still high in the sky. The moon close to retiring for the night. The sun ready to peak of the horizon, but there was just enough darkness to give that eerie feel to the blue and red lights that shone across my driveway.

I opened the door. The officers held their heads down, speaking in low murmurs. They both looked me in the eye, their eyes already spelling out the truth. My legs buckled from under me. She was my baby girl! She can't be gone. Even if I already knew.

Both officers rushed to grab me, but it was too late. I was already on the ground. I heard the woman's scream echo through my house, but I didn't realize it was mine. I heard my husbands footsteps beat down the stairs. I know that he'd be wearing nothing more than a pair of boxer briefs as the officers delivered the news. I know that my daughter won't be home to laugh with me anymore.

The flame is gone, and there's no getting it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment